It’s 2018. How y’all doing?

It’s been a while.

My last post here was March 2017. That’s embarrassing… but I’m back for a new year and for a comeback! Here’s a few things that have been going on:

Christmas Light Show… was a bust.

I had another light show project that was actually progressing over the past few months but very slowly… so slowly that I didn’t even manage to make anything for Christmas. I ended up abandoning it and now I just have this big thing taking up a lot of space. I’ll post an update on that project in a bit.

Toronto Subway Map project

Last year in December, the Toronto Transit Commission opened a new subway extension. I rode around on it the day it opened and they happened to be handing out subway map posters. For the longest time, I’ve wanted to go buy one and fit it with LEDs but I never got around to it. Since I literally had the map put in my hands, I couldn’t let time go on and procrastinate again. I got to work almost immediately and I’ve got something really fun to show you. Stay tuned for a project build post on this very soon!

New Soldering Iron!

I built this work station way back for the new year in 2016. It’s grown bit by bit and naturally that leads to clutter. I decided to do a bit of cleaning up.

I built a new spool holder that sits the spools vertically so they take up less horizontal space. It’s made out of an polyethelene ‘L’ (scrap piece from work) and a couple of wooden dollar-store dowels. It works well.

The main reason for the clean up was to make space for a new soldering iron. I’ve been a Weller guy since my college days since I started out with a Weller iron (no station) in college. I’ve been using a Weller WLC100 since 2014 since I couldn’t afford anything better at the time. I felt like it was time for an upgrade so I picked up one of these Hakko irons since I always hear how nice they are. After using it to complete my subway map project, I have zero regrets. Would recommend!

This is it after I finished the subway map project… So much for cleaning up, eh?

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Let’s hope the new-year motivation continues on! See you soon!

Advertisements

Light Show Website Update!

I’m happy to announce an update of the Arduino Light Show Project’s website! The update is mostly aesthetic changes, with a few added animations here and there.

As for the next show, progress has been slow but I hope to ramp it up a little bit. I’ve been sitting on half of an update so I should have an update posted by the end of the week.

Thanks for visiting the blog and I hope you like the ALSP website update!

Project Lineup Progress Update

A week and a half ago, I made a post outlining five projects I wanted to work on. I wanted to summarize how the list is going, along with other things I’m doing, and what’s in store for the next little while.

Here are the projects that were on that list:

Light Timer Modification – Complete – This was a modification to the Light Timer project where it would automate the control of the lights based on the light in area as sensed by the photoresistor instead of the time of day. It was completed fairly quickly and is in regular use.

Light Nametag – Complete – This was a simple project where I wanted to spell out my name in LEDs. While I didn’t get the patterns to work, the result is still satisfying.

Desk Light Project – Complete – I wanted to install LEDs around my desk so that I wouldn’t have to use the ceiling light. The project was completed and is in regular use.

Animatronic Head – Starting Soon – I want to create an animatronic head that has neck motion, LED matrix eyes, and an LCD for the mouth for the basic features. I have not given it much thought past that.

PLC Trainer ProgramStarting Soon – I want to practice my ladder logic programming as I haven’t really touched it in a while. This project will likely run parallel to the Animatronic Head project. Both of these projects need more planning before I actually start either.

In addition to these projects, one additional project came up and was completed. That is the Shelf Lighting System I made for my brother. As I’ve said plenty of times, it was an exhausting project so I’m starting back with my projects a little slower than I usually do.

I want to add more things to the Featured Projects page and get more individual project pages up as well.

Besides my projects, I’m [slowly] reading a book about robotics. It’s great because it almost picks up where the George Brown College PLC program left off (which I finished a week or so ago) as the program gave a small introduction to robotics at the end. I may start writing up tutorials on the blog but that needs some more consideration. I’m also looking for a job but that’s obviously not going very well.

If you haven’t already, follow me on Google+. The posts I make there are usually behind-the-scenes look while I do things and content that doesn’t really suit the blog (usually because it’s too short).

Thanks for reading!