I’m excited to finally have my second round of PCBs here! The designs are an AMS1117 regulator board and an ATmega328p breakout. I already have notes to share from soldering one of each to start testing them. The notes in this post are just from assembling them. I will have a separate post that goes into detail about my tests with them.This is how the boards were designed. They are meant to split apart easily with the tab between them. I got a little excited and went for it without scoring it first, so I destroyed one ATmega328 breakout since the weakest points in that area are the pin pads 2-4. No worries though, I got a few extras in this batch of PCBs, probably because they don’t take up the complete 5x5cm area I have to work with. I tried splitting another board by scoring both sides with a knife and they split cleanly without damage to either design.This is the AMS1117 board that has two fixed voltage AMS1117 voltage regulators. One produces 5v, the other produces 3.3v. It is a tight squeeze because the capacitor footprint is smaller than the actual capacitors, but it doesn’t seem like it’s an issue. On the back side is a note, written in text that’s a bit too small, that the dropout is 1.3v so you have to supply it with at least 4.6v for 3.3v or at least 6.3v for 5v. I forgot to include the drop of the diode which should be 0.7v, but most applications would probably use a 9v battery as the input to this board. It will be part of the testing, though 1.3v is the maximum dropout so results may vary between the regulators. We’ll see how the tests go.
It was fun placing the SMDs and trying to align them properly. It bugs me when my components end up in some awkward position so I feel the pressure with these small SMDs. I got to solder SMDs back in school where we used a flux pen, solder paste, and a toaster oven. I have none of those things so it’s hand soldering for me.
This is the ATmega328p breakout board. (The crooked oscillator is bugging me.) I really bumped my head with that terminal block for the power input. The terminal block I used on the board is 3.5mm while I’m sitting here with 5mm (0.2″) terminal blocks, which are the ones found on my Attiny85 board. It’s not a big deal as I can always go and buy them, or I can just solder wires like I did with this one.
The boards have proven to be functional, together no less. Again, full test results will be coming up shortly. Stay tuned! Thanks for reading!