A new year. A new shelf and table!

A year ago, I was excited to make small improvements to my work space. Even though those efforts helped, they were cheap “band-aid” fixes that I wasn’t completely proud of. This time around, things are looking cleaner.

20160108_210008_001

I bought the large 5-shelf unit from Home Depot on boxing day. Each shelf has a category of sorts, though I’m having a hard time sticking to them. The top shelf is for completed projects. The shelf below it is for tools, specifically more for any power tools that I have. The middle shelf is for components. The shelf below that is for scrap components (like circuit boards to take apart) and incomplete projects. The bottom shelf is miscellaneous storage, like for product boxes and consumer products in line to be stripped apart eventually.

The smaller black shelf beside it is what was storing everything before. Soon enough, it will be more bare than it is in this picture.
20160117_111335The other improvement to my work area is a new soldering station table top. Before, it was a piece of cardboard on top of a plastic rolling storage shelf. This new table is still held up by the plastic shelf, but is made out of plywood for a sturdier and larger surface to work on.

I got a piece of scrap plywood from work. I ran over to Lowe’s to get a strip of wood to cut into pieces to make a border. To put the border together, I used wood glue and set the pieces into place with a couple of clamps.
20160118_172108This is the final table. The piece of plywood I got was laying around so it was kind of dirty. Although it didn’t look all that bad with the borders on, I decided I would rather have it painted. I had some white acrylic paint from the dollar store so I applied that to the surface and front edge of the plywood. The wood border pieces that I purchased were too pretty to paint over so I left them untouched.

Building this table has me inspired! My next project is to build a couple of sawhorses, which I definitely want after struggling to cut the pieces of wood in this project awkwardly on a couple of cardboard boxes.

Thanks for reading!

Advertisements

No more floor boards!

That is, no more boxes of circuit boards laying all over the floor!

I visited Dollarama today and picked up a couple of 3-drawer organizers. They are stackable so I now had 6 drawers to stick all of my circuit boards in.20150906_140626

Even better, I put a piece of cardboard across each drawer to divide each one so I now have 12 compartments to work with. The new set of drawers fit in well with my other Dollarama organizers to the left.

20150906_143224

Once I fitted all of the drawers with cardboard dividers and labels, I put a piece of tape down both sides of the drawer to keep them together. I found that they don’t snap together quite as snug as I would have liked. With the drawers in place, I put beads of hot glue to glue them down. Normally I’d tie the drawers down with a string (because I think that sort of thing looks kind of neat) but I don’t expect to move these drawers around and I think that this solution would be the best.

20150906_150257

This is what that area looks like now. I’d like to keep building up the drawers since they’re relatively cheap ($3) and I could always use more compartments to store things.

Time to throw out my old organizing boxes… 🙂