ATmega328p Breakout Test Results

In my last post, I talked about the tests I did with the AMS1117 Board. Now it’s over to the ATmega328p Breakout Board. The testing was a lot simpler, and included the AMS1117 board.IMG_20140919_121331This was it. The test was just to run a sketch on the ATmega328 microcontroller, uploaded using an Arduino Uno. The sketch was some patterns that used all 17 outputs (the 11 (not using RX or TX), plus the analog in pins used as digital outputs). The chasing patterns made sure that that the pads were connected in order. Here’s a video:

IMG_20140919_154612I used my multimeter to do some other tests. I tested the other pads on the board (RX/0, TX/1, and the Vcc and GND pads) with the multimeter. I also measured the curent flowing between the AMS1117 and the ATmega328 board. The reading in the picture above is from when all of the LEDs are on.

One thing I realized is that the 1A fuse for the uA and mA setting on my multimeter is blown. I went looking for them and the cheapest I can find is a 20 pack for ~$5… The A setting works just fine so I can live with it. The fuse on the A setting is 10A so it should last a while and would be the one I’m more willing to replace if it does blow someday.

Anyways, thanks for reading! I’m still planning out some projects so stay tuned!

Advertisements

Attiny85 Programmer/Breakout Rev B – Negasilk Test

2I finally got the negasilk ULP working properly, thanks to this YouTube video. This is still somewhat of a mockup and a test to see how things should be laid out. I like the look of the bolder labels with the inverted text.

The thing that’s bugging me is the consistency of the label directions. It’s fine that the Program label is different since that part of the board will eventually become separated. I’m not sure how to add the label for the Power In or the microcontroller, and then there’s the resistor and LED that don’t really deserve a label, though it could probably file under Power In. Again, it’s just a mockup so things will probably be moving around. I’ll eventually figure it out.

Thanks for visiting!

The Attiny85 Programmer & Breakout Board Rev A is available on eBay!

1+1=Blue!

I’m not sure why it took me this long, but I finally tested my Attiny85 Breakout with my 74HC595 Shift Register Breakout.

IMG_20140903_235658I’ve only designed four PCBs so far, two of which are in the mail right now. These designs are circuits that I’ve used before so I’m somewhat familiar with them, except for the upcoming AMS1117 voltage regulator board. Anyways, I make these designs because I’m familiar with them but also because they can all work together. The AMS1117 will eventually be able to regulate power for the other three designs. You can swap between the Attiny85 breakout and the other upcoming board, the Atmega328p breakout, depending on which microcontroller is better for the project. Then the shift register board can be tacked on to the microcontroller boards to expand the digital outputs of them.

Anyways, I thought I’d talk about that just because I’m so excited to see these two boards work together. Here’s a short video of the test:

You may see the Arduino Uno in the background. It’s only supplying power.

Thanks for reading!