Hindsight is 20/20, that’s for sure.
I’m currently waiting for Revision B of my 74HC595 Shift Register Boards in the mail. I’m eager to get them because they’re my first manually routed boards so I want to see if they turn out right. The revision is a minor one with the only real changes being a connection that was missing in the first revision and breaking out the Output Enable pin.
I plan on using 3 or 4 of these boards for an update to the Light Show. I only checked yesterday to see if I had enough shift registers. I don’t. I started looking around for some more and I quickly realized that using the SMD version of the 74HC595 would have been cheaper. That’s why I’m looking at another revision already…
I’m not sure how likely it would be for me to get these made since I already have the new boards coming in but I was really excited to start this design anyway because I haven’t use SMD components very much. The only board I have used SMD components is my AMS1117 board, but the circuit was so much simpler… and at the time, I was new to Eagle so I just used the auto-router.
It’s an interesting adjustment for me to have everything start on the top layer of the SMD ICs. I ended up adding a lot of vias. There are vias that are only there to make a gap for the fill to reach some of the pins. I’ll have another go at it to try and clean some of that up.
Since I’m still new to Eagle, I like to go to websites like Adafruit and browse the boards to see how they’re laid out. I’d like to make my boards as pretty as theirs. That’s one of the reasons I’m trying the rounded corners again, which I didn’t do in Rev B for whatever reason…
Thanks for reading! If the mail service is good, the new Rev B boards should be here in a couple of days. Fingers crossed!