The old Light Timer/Automation project has been running well for the past few months. It was some time after, I played around with Attiny85 microcontrollers which have less pins. Since the project only uses two (now three) pins, I decided to do another revision of the project, swapping out the Atmega328 with an Attiny85.It started out with some prototying on a breadboard with the Uno. The potentiometer is a dimmer for the lights. One of the issues I had was that the lights were a bit too bright so I wanted an option to make them dimmer. The potentiometer allows me to do that without having to reprogram the chip, although in hindsight, I probably should have put one for the sensor sensitivity. I have to go through a few nights to see how it reacts as I wrote up new code but used the existing photoresistor.
This was the perfboard layout, though there were some mistakes and things missing that I fixed along the way.This is the old board. It feels good to strip it down even further…This is the new board. It’s a lot smaller and with a new enclosure (food container). The old one still had unwired buttons from the original light automation system with the LCD menu.When I swapped out the board for the new one, it wasn’t working properly. Sometimes it would function fine, but I’d come back to it to see it dead. After some poking around with my multimeter, I realized it was the power supply connector. It connects to the board using a 9v battery connector. This particular power supply has a bunch of other jacks which I tested and were still working fine. I decided to just chop off of the connectors which I didn’t like floating around anyway, and have this power supply dedicated to this project. I quickly soldered the supply wires to the board and it works just fine now.
Hopefully it’ll look good tonight. Thanks for reading!