What time is it?
Time to make a new clock!
About a year ago, I designed and assembled my own custom made clock. You couldn’t say it was in an enclosure since its guts were spilled out on both sides of a piece of foam core. I felt like, a year later, it was time to redo it and put it into a proper enclosure.
So, what time is it? Time to build us a new clock!
I tend to get carried away and too focused to take proper progress pictures. This is literally the first picture I have from the electronics part.
Soldering all of those LEDs and components took a full day. I used hot glue to try to keep multiple wires in place to solder as fast as I could but it didn’t do the best job to hold them in. At time, the glue would fall away from the PCB. Still, it’s better than fiddling with one wire at a time.
The only difference from the prototype build is a lower resistor value for the LED resistors.
Putting Together a Box
Foam core is a favorite in my “lab”. It’s all I use these days because all it takes is a knife to cut and it’s inexpensive and accessible (Dollarama rocks). I built a simple black box with a white cover place. I was hoping with a lower resistor value on the LEDs, they’d be able to shine through the white foam core.
With the soldered parts and the enclosure ready, it was time to put it all together.
I glued a piece of foam core behind the control board to isolate the connections on the back with the display connections. I ended up mounting the two display panels on it’s own piece of foam core anyway so I guess that wasn’t really necessary. The display foam core backing fits tight with no need for pin or glues to hold it in place.
The white foam core was still too think for the LEDs so I ended up going back to a plain white sheet of paper. It’s not noticeably brighter than the original prototype with the paper. The piece of paper is held up by two strips of foam core on either side.
I didn’t like the look of it at this point but it was the end of the weekend so I left it for now.
I still like how sleek the black foam core looks, even with a few imperfections here and there from a not-so-sharp knife.
After a few days to think about it, I realized simply turning around my diffusing screen pulled the look together.
Time to pull the plug on the prototype and enjoy something new.
Thanks for reading!