Tutorial: ESP8266 + PHP and MySQL Database

I hear you guys

I see it in the view counts, comments, and emails asking for information about my ESP8266 and MySQL project I made two years ago. People are having trouble with their ESP8266 and MySQL Database projects. The reasons why I haven’t posted about it since then is because I haven’t been doing much with the ESP8266, and the project is so old that the way it’s programed is out-of-date. Development for the ESP8266 has evolved so much and made it easier. You no longer have to deal with AT commands with all of the libraries and tutorials for the Arduino IDE.

I’m going to do a quick tutorial to explain how I’ve been doing my ESP8266 with MySQL project. It’s not going to have much code but more explaining so you get what’s happening.

Before we start, some links for you

The ESP8266 blog post that everyone is showing up to see: https://mwhprojects.wordpress.com/2015/01/18/esp8266-with-a-mysql-database/

The Github repo for this, though sort of irrelevant at this point because it’s outdated: https://github.com/mwhprojects/Arduino-ESP8266

The recent NodeMCU project that showed me what’s new with the ESP8266: https://mwhprojects.wordpress.com/category/projects-2/nodemcu/garage-monitor/

The Github repo for that: https://github.com/mwhprojects/NodeMCU-MySQL

GETing values and INSERTing them

Here’s what happens in the code uploaded onto the ESP8266/NodeMCU (see Github):

  1. The ESP8266 connects to the webhost.
  2. The switch values are read.
  3. These switch values are then inserted into a URL which the ESP8266 tries to load.
  4. Repeat.

I think that step three is what people are most interested in, so let me explain that a little further. PHP has the GET method, which basically reads variables that are in the URL itself. For instance, if we have a URL like: thisisanexample.com/example.php?a=1&b=2, we could use PHP to get the values of a and b. In PHP, we’d write $somevariable = $_GET[‘a’]; and again for b. We can then use PHP to connect up to a MySQL database and insert $somevariable and whatever else you’d like into the table.

In the PHP code (see Github), the file begins with code that checks for variables in the URL as explained above. If there is, it uses the GET method to get the variables and then inserts them into the MySQL database table.

Just a heads up, the deep sleep in the NodeMCU hasn’t been working for me, as I explained with my NodeMCU project posts. Keep that in mind if you plan on adopting the code. Heck, let me know what happens with your project as it could just be something with my hardware.

So now what?

Like good old XDA… YOU TELL ME.

I’m not an expert with the ESP8266 but I’d like to help if I can. Please let me know if there’s any clarifications I should make to this post or any more specifics on what problems you’re having with a similar project.

Thanks a lot for reading and good luck with your projects!

Advertisements

DIY Digital Clock: Take 2!

What time is it?

Time to make a new clock!

About a year ago, I designed and assembled my own custom made clock. You couldn’t say it was in an enclosure since its guts were spilled out on both sides of a piece of foam core. I felt like, a year later, it was time to redo it and put it into a proper enclosure.

So, what time is it? Time to build us a new clock!

The Guts

1

I tend to get carried away and too focused to take proper progress pictures. This is literally the first picture I have from the electronics part.

Soldering all of those LEDs and components took a full day. I used hot glue to try to keep multiple wires in place to solder as fast as I could but it didn’t do the best job to hold them in. At time, the glue would fall away from the PCB. Still, it’s better than fiddling with one wire at a time.

The only difference from the prototype build is a lower resistor value for the LED resistors.

Putting Together a Box

2

Foam core is a favorite in my “lab”. It’s all I use these days because all it takes is a knife to cut and it’s inexpensive and accessible (Dollarama rocks). I built a simple black box with a white cover place. I was hoping with a lower resistor value on the LEDs, they’d be able to shine through the white foam core.

3

With the soldered parts and the enclosure ready, it was time to put it all together.

4

I glued a piece of foam core behind the control board to isolate the connections on the back with the display connections. I ended up mounting the two display panels on it’s own piece of foam core anyway so I guess that wasn’t really necessary. The display foam core backing fits tight with no need for pin or glues to hold it in place.

5

The white foam core was still too think for the LEDs so I ended up going back to a plain white sheet of paper. It’s not noticeably brighter than the original prototype with the paper.  The piece of paper is held up by two strips of foam core on either side.

I didn’t like the look of it at this point but it was the end of the weekend so I left it for now.

6

I still like how sleek the black foam core looks, even with a few imperfections here and there from a not-so-sharp knife.

7

After a few days to think about it, I realized simply turning around my diffusing screen pulled the look together.

8

Time to pull the plug on the prototype and enjoy something new.

Thanks for reading!