So, it’s one of these update posts again.

You know the ones, where I don’t really have my things thought out well enough to make proper project posts. Take it as an update post, or an overview of what’s going on.

So? What has been going on?

A year ago, I wasn’t working so I had literally all day to come up with and build the projects you’ve seen on this blog in the past. Now that I am working full-time, I don’t have nearly as much time or energy to put as much into my personal projects. Over the past couple of months, however, I have been getting into a better routine that has given me a chance to get a couple of projects off of the ground.

Project #1: MWHProjects.com Version 4

MWHProjects.com has always been a boring static website. I’d find myself occasionally visiting it, thinking how bland it is, changing a few visuals, and calling that a new version. A few weeks ago, I finally got into an overhaul. This time, I’m going deeper!

I’ve made websites in the past that I put serious effort into, and included somewhat “advanced” homemade features, such as a blog and information database. Although the new MWHProjects.com may not see features to that extent, it will have more than just some links this time. The biggest goal here is to make a website that can be dynamic, where I don’t have to put as much effort into adding something new.

My main projects (and not just ones that have their own websites) will have their own pages with an overview of the project and technical notes. I’m still on the fence about building a blog for the site, since I have the WordPress blog you’re reading right now, but I wouldn’t mind having a place to share other things that wouldn’t fit in on this blog. It may be something I’d look into adding later on.

Progress has been going well so far. Here’s what things look like so far:

Screenshot (4)

… OK, so things look broken.

But on the plus side, everything on that page is being pulled from a MySQL database, where all the page information was submitted to from a PHP page. My behind-the-scenes administrator pages are basically complete at this point, albeit without any styling. That brings me to the design stage, where there are many more decisions to make.

I’d say things are on track to make the site public sometime next month. Shout out to Second Cup for my caffine fix while I work on this thing!

Project #2: Light Show 8

I’ve got a new light show stage designed in my head and it’s slowly coming together. It has elements you’ve seen before but I think it will look their best this time around.

20160221_191408

Yes, the fountains will be back, and they’re looking great so far! A big problem with the previous design was the crappy nozzles. They were made out of drinking straws that were squished just enough to get more pressure on the flow of water. After some experimenting with a few scrap materials from work and from a hardware store, I’ve got a new nozzle design that has been consistent so far. I’m still working out whether to have the nozzles directly on the pump or use some tubing to separate the pumps and nozzles, which may help reduce choppy water around the pumps intake.

There has been more progress made on this but that will all be shared in a post later on.

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s