A throwback of sorts… The Buzzer Box!

Back when I was around 11, I strolled into a Radioshack and bought some wire, a buzzer, and a battery pack. I had a weird fascination with my elementary school’s fire alarm and wanted to recreate it. Completing the simple circuit by tapping wires together was enough to satisfy me until the project was lost. Fast forward about 15 years later, I’m revisiting the project that started it all.

20160320_125204

This circuit is slightly more complicated than the original, I’d say. I used a 555 timer to get the pulse that would buzz the buzzer on and off at roughly a 50% duty cycle. In the end, I ended up using 9v instead of the original 5v I had planned, but it worked just the same.

20160320_114828

The project was put into this small enclosure. I drilled a hole for the button that is pressed to activated the buzzer alarm.

20160320_115313

Here’s the circuit on a breadboard to test and experiment before soldering the circuit permanently.

20160320_123209

A close-up of the circuit on the perfboard.

20160320_123218

A close-up of my soldering.

20160320_123202

After soldering the components to the perfboard, I soldered the buzzer, battery, and switch into the circuit.

20160320_123905

After some musical chairs with the components, and then some hot glue, everything was set into the enclosure.

Here’s the Buzzer Box in action…

Who needs a life alert when you have this… thing… #diy #electronics #shittyrobots #buzzer #alarm

A post shared by Matt (@mwhprojects) on

It was a simple [and useless] project but I’m the kind of person that likes to revisit the past in ways like this.

Thanks for reading!

 

Advertisements

So, it’s one of these update posts again.

You know the ones, where I don’t really have my things thought out well enough to make proper project posts. Take it as an update post, or an overview of what’s going on.

So? What has been going on?

A year ago, I wasn’t working so I had literally all day to come up with and build the projects you’ve seen on this blog in the past. Now that I am working full-time, I don’t have nearly as much time or energy to put as much into my personal projects. Over the past couple of months, however, I have been getting into a better routine that has given me a chance to get a couple of projects off of the ground.

Project #1: MWHProjects.com Version 4

MWHProjects.com has always been a boring static website. I’d find myself occasionally visiting it, thinking how bland it is, changing a few visuals, and calling that a new version. A few weeks ago, I finally got into an overhaul. This time, I’m going deeper!

I’ve made websites in the past that I put serious effort into, and included somewhat “advanced” homemade features, such as a blog and information database. Although the new MWHProjects.com may not see features to that extent, it will have more than just some links this time. The biggest goal here is to make a website that can be dynamic, where I don’t have to put as much effort into adding something new.

My main projects (and not just ones that have their own websites) will have their own pages with an overview of the project and technical notes. I’m still on the fence about building a blog for the site, since I have the WordPress blog you’re reading right now, but I wouldn’t mind having a place to share other things that wouldn’t fit in on this blog. It may be something I’d look into adding later on.

Progress has been going well so far. Here’s what things look like so far:

Screenshot (4)

… OK, so things look broken.

But on the plus side, everything on that page is being pulled from a MySQL database, where all the page information was submitted to from a PHP page. My behind-the-scenes administrator pages are basically complete at this point, albeit without any styling. That brings me to the design stage, where there are many more decisions to make.

I’d say things are on track to make the site public sometime next month. Shout out to Second Cup for my caffine fix while I work on this thing!

Project #2: Light Show 8

I’ve got a new light show stage designed in my head and it’s slowly coming together. It has elements you’ve seen before but I think it will look their best this time around.

20160221_191408

Yes, the fountains will be back, and they’re looking great so far! A big problem with the previous design was the crappy nozzles. They were made out of drinking straws that were squished just enough to get more pressure on the flow of water. After some experimenting with a few scrap materials from work and from a hardware store, I’ve got a new nozzle design that has been consistent so far. I’m still working out whether to have the nozzles directly on the pump or use some tubing to separate the pumps and nozzles, which may help reduce choppy water around the pumps intake.

There has been more progress made on this but that will all be shared in a post later on.

Thanks for visiting my blog!