It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas…

So with my attention now turned toward my light show, I thought it would be a good idea to spit out all of my ideas and try to organize them here.

The only thing I’ve done since the Halloween special was add in my new green LEDs. These green LEDs have clear lenses so they’re as bright as the blue and white LEDs. I just ordered the same kind of LEDs for the reds and yellows so that hopefully these different colors won’t be fighting to be the brightest.
BYvGTkpIcAAwzFuI’ve come to a few conclusions since the Halloween special. The first thing is that either the opening was weak (To be honest, I thought it was) or that people don’t like a lengthy video. I’ve had better reception with the shortened one-song videos. The Christmas special will be another multi-song presentation but I’ll timestamp the songs in the description at least. The second thing is regarding the spotlights. I found that when the two side servos moved opposite of each other, it made it look like really awkward t-rex arms. That could be fixed by either separating the spotlights further away from each other or not moving them like that. The last thing is that the whole single tower look makes it feel like the stage incomplete.

Also, with Greg the robot, I learned that the analog in pins can be used as digital outs. That’s 16 additional outputs for the Arduino Mega that I’m using for the light show. The Halloween special setup used 41 pins so that leaves 29 pins open.

With all of that said, I’ve got a rough plan in my head. The plan is to create two additional towers on each side of the existing tower that get shorter. They will be lit with RGB LEDs like the existing tower. The two side servos will probably be moved one or two towers over.

The original plan before this was just to create a few string lights to make a Christmas tree outline. However, the great thing about this project is that it’s easy to reuse for different themes. The string lights would make it feel like Christmas every time, even with the plan to swap out the lights for less Christmas-y colors whenever it’s not Christmas. Also, with the tower design, I felt like this was the first project that looks the most polished compared to what I’ve done in the past. I don’t think I’ll be getting rid of the breadboard soon, so I’ll try to make up for it in other places. Having those additional towers will also block out the backstage wiring, though it’s hard to see all of that stuff when it’s dark anyway.

So that leaves 17 pins left. I’ll figure out what to do with those when I’m midway through construction, even though that sounds like a terrible idea.

Construction will begin when those new LEDs arrive which will hopefully be sometime this week. I will post up construction update when they’re ready. See you then!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s